Thursday, March 10, 2011

Great RUN!

Wow, it's been a great month and a half of run/walk training. I do believe we've run in the rain more than we've run in the dry weather this year. I've kept with not eating before I run and this seems to allow me to feel lighter, and not weighed down with digesting while running. If I do eat anything it's a banana as fruit is quick to digest and light.

Drinking water is ever so important too as it's hard to run or exercise when you are dehydrated. I know that if I'm getting muscle cramps this is usually the reason. Here's a trick I use to keep hydrated. I keep a litre Kleen Kanteen bottle in my van. When I am at a red light I take a big drink. You'd be amazed at how quickly that bottle empties! Well, at least here in the suburbs where there are plenty of lights. If you are in the country or a small town you'd have to choose some other reason to drink. Reminds me of the drinking games we used to play in university. Play with it and see what works for you. Get hydrated!

I had to miss our Sunday run because my kids had a soccer tourney. I really missed going out with the group. Are you a social exerciser or a solo one? I really do prefer to be with people when I exercise and it's why I love this group so much. Hyde Creek is a great starting point and the trail and the dykes are so beautiful to run on.

The ladies that I go out with during the week are great too! Rain or shine, jogging stroller or not we're there for each other and it motivates us to get our bodies moving. This week I ran the run on Monday, it was a glorious, sunny day and I felt really great running. Took a new route and it was nice to have some different scenery. I also prefer to run without music, really! I have an MP3 player but use it rarely. I love listening to nature around me and yes, to the cars whizzing by. :)

Wednesday's run, that was another story. It was cold, windy, and raining as hard as it can get. It was WET! We had a recovery day so the walk was 2 min. and the run was 5 min. and we did that 6 times. Due to a massage therapy session I only did it 5 times. We recently had another friend of mine join our weekly runs and she was not well that day so hope to see her on Friday.

It's pouring rain out there right now and I'm thinking of those in the group that go out Thursday nights. Yikes, it's as wet as it was on Wednesday morning out there right now. Stay safe out there!

Have you used your muscles today? What do you do to stay motivated on a rainy day? Music? Friends? Something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment